Nursing Department Manager, Operating Room job opening located in Hawaii.
Up to 10% bonus eligible annually
In collaboration with Anesthesia and Surgical Services (SAS) management team, participates in developing, planning, implementing of departmental goals and objectives. Assess, plans, implements, evaluates, and ensures optimal patient care is delivered to surgical patients according to established standards of care provided during all operative phases of process. Provides and supports functional direction through effective leadership and Quality Improvement principles to ensure quality patient care and employee satisfaction. Plans, directs, and supervises daily operational activities of assigned staff in Operating Rooms. Serves as a liaison between supervisors, physicians, nursing personnel, patients/families, and other departments to direct smooth transitions of patient care activities during perioperative experience. Coordinates departmental activities to ensure optimum patient care. Directs flow of Surgical Schedule. Supervises assigned staff.
- Serves as coach and resource to staff by coordinating and supporting team activities, encouraging, and modeling active participation and total quality principles and methodologies, and sharing accountability for outcomes.
- Encourages employees to take action. Encourages cross training through learning, sharing, and informal/formal training. Promotes effective use of resources through continuous process/quality improvement. Identifies and removes barriers related to efficient daily operations.
- Oversees activities of staff in department to ensure that optimal performance is met. Acts as enabler for successful performance, by ensuring that departments have adequate resources and training.
- Manages payroll and/or non-payroll budget. Monitors expenditures and ensures compliance with budget. Promotes effective use of resources.
- Collaborates with customer stakeholders in establishing policies, procedures, performance goals and measures. Monitors and ensures teams performance against same. Ensures seamless and consistent servicing of all customers. Serves as Teams customer relations contact on requests for training, education, presentations, and special projects.
- Collaborates with other teams on issues requiring shared accountability or decision-making. Shares accountability for outcomes.
- Contributes to team success by sharing learnings and specialty expertise with team members. Promotes team play and motivates team towards self-governance.
- Develops, establishes, and maintains inter-organization contact with various groups, entities, or department to insure adequate flow of information and cooperation at all levels.
- Interprets and implements TJC, AORN, State and Federal requirements recommendations within department/hospital and assures compliance.
- Delegates authority and responsibility to staff based on their competency level and capability. Assists in daily review of staff assignments and specialty assignments through collaboration with head nurse and management team.
- Analyzes, plans, and makes recommendations for future departmental planning needs, regarding physical expansion, renovation and or expansion of services provided.
- Selects and maintains computerized O.R. Management/Information System to evaluate, document and analyze O.R. utilization and activities. Designs format and compiles.
- Controls and monitors physical and perpetual inventories. Develops inventory control program for on-going evaluation of supplies and equipment to control cost, monitor usage and assure standardization where possible.
- Establishes scheduling practices. Monitors block utilization and allocates block time to assure efficient O.R. resource utilization. Coordinates scheduling activities with clinic administration.
- Coordinates projects and service standards. Serves as liaison in regard to O.R. operational issues when dealing with specialty heads, workroom and systems assistants.
- Coordinates delivery of care perioperatively with Anesthesia, O.R. Staff, Physicians, PACU, OP and Inpatient Nursing Staff. Establishes inter-departmental standards and procedures to resolve patient care issues.
- Manages and participates in department/physician research projects to promote professional development. Advises management on current technology as applied to O.R. Services.
- Establishes assessment programs to assure staff competency in clinical, technical, and interpersonal skills required to be an effective team member.
- Coordinates with Nurse Executive Team for implementation of Patient Safety Initiatives within the Surgical Services.
- May perform patient care to the extent necessary to maintain clinical expertise, competency, and licensing necessary to fulfill job responsibilities and to direct the provision of care on the unit.
- Provides direct patient care on an as needed basis. Provides services that are within scope of license and in compliance with all legal, regulatory, and policy requirements relevant to clinical role performed.
- Incorporates the hospital Nursing Vision, Model and Values throughout their Nursing Practice.
- Hires, trains, supervises, counsels, disciplines, and terminates assigned staff as appropriate.
- Communicates goals, objectives, accountabilities, priorities, and authority parameters to assigned staff.
Describe how this position fits in your organization.
This position will manage all staff in the Operating Room. It is a 16 OR suite plus 1 procedure room, about 80 direct reports, and average cases per month 350-400. This facility does hearts, spines, and neuro cases. There are no Assistant Managers in OR. This position reports to the Director of Perioperative.
What is exciting about this opportunity? Please include team and company culture.
We are one of America’s leading health care providers and nonprofit health plans. We serve 12.5 million people in California, Colorado, the District of Columbia, Georgia, Hawaii, Maryland, Oregon, Virginia, and Washington. There is room for growth.
- Minimum two (2) years of supervisory or charge nurse experience.
- Minimum five (5) years of related nursing experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing OR RN with three (3) years nursing management experience.
License, Certification, Registration
- Registered Nurse License (Hawaii) required at hire
- Basic Life Support from American Heart Association
- Knowledge of healthcare regulations, licensure requirements, and risk management principles.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and skill in adaptability, change management, conflict resolution, decision making, customer service, group process facilitation, influence, interpersonal relations, oral communication, problem solving, quality management, systems thinking, team building, written communication, organizational theory, and leadership.
- O.R. management experience.
- Master’s degree in nursing, healthcare administration, education, or related area.
Competitive Salary Range!
Executive & Management Recruitment Services