Job opening for a Surgical Services Director located in South Georgia.
200+ Licensed beds, not for profit healthcare system
Under the leadership of the Vice President/CNO, the Director, Nursing – Surgical Services is an active member of the department that collects data, provides comfort measures, and care to patients. The Director, Nursing – Surgical Services is responsible for planning, organizing and directing the operation of the Surgical Services Department. The Director, Nursing – Surgical Services leads and directs subordinate supervisory personnel with responsibility for the functioning of assigned nursing care areas 24/7/365. The Director leads nursing-wide goal setting and evaluation and is responsible for the development of policies and procedures, and annual and strategic budgets for assigned areas. This position monitors the financial performance of the area and ensures that staff provides quality patient care that is age appropriate and culturally sensitive.
- Director will be over: OR, PACU, CSP, ENDO, PAT
- # Managers reporting to this Director: 1
- # OR’s: 4 plus 2 endo rooms
- # Monthly procedures: approx 350
- # FTE’s: approx 30
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Nursing from an accredited school of Nursing. A Master’s degree in Nursing is preferred.
- Requires five to seven years of work-related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Requires a current state license as a Registered Nurse and is listed in good standing with the state’s Department of Professional Credentialing.
- Requires current certifications in Basic Life Support (BLS), PALS, and Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS). (If BLS verification is not current upon hire, it must be obtained within three (3) months of hire.)
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Leads and manages the Surgical Services Department and staff related to Nursing.
- Converts the vision and goals into actionable plans and directions related to the operation of the Surgical Services department.
- Works with the nursing staff to develop, update and implement the Surgical Services Department’s strategic and annual plans.
- Establishes both short and long-term goals for the Surgical Services Department and prepares corresponding strategic and annual financial plans, ensuring budget variances are within acceptable limits.
- Provides overall leadership, management, development and evaluations for the Surgical Services Department’s staff.
- Provides leadership in the delivery of quality nursing services and support.
- Ensures that departmental quality, satisfaction and regulatory compliance standards are consistently either met or exceeded.
- Ensures that all applicable SCIP measures are followed during the perioperative experience.
- Manages monthly operating financials for the Surgical Services Department and works with the CFO or other members of Finance to develop proactive remedial actions when necessary.
- Works to continually improve the quality and timeliness of the Surgical Services Department care and services.
- Performs as a surgical services staff nurse and provides patient care as needed and participates in on-call rotation if necessary.
- Prepares, implements and manages all Surgical Services and CRHS-related policies and procedures and ensures their compliance with all federal and state laws and regulations.
- Ensures the Surgical Services Department physical space is well maintained and provides a comfortable, safe and secure environment for all patients, guest and staff.
- Develops corrective plans to address identified issues associated with the department’s physical space, safety or security issues.
- Maintains and updates the department’s safety plan and ensures the plan complies with JCAHO requirements.
- Serves on Nursing committees and taskforces concerning patient care, safety, security, quality, performance improvement and staff-related issues.
- Works closely with the Vice President/CNO and the Administrative Team to recommend and maintain an organizational structure and staffing levels to accomplish nursing operational goals and objectives.
- Provides staff the opportunities to participate in staff development and regularly schedules in-service programs. Provides new employees with an orientation specific to the department, explaining the department’s mission and goals.
- Works with physicians, staff and administration to provide quality instruments and equipment to offer up to date and leading edge procedures for the community and surrounding areas.
- Prepares and conducts probationary and annual employee evaluations that accurately reflect the employee’s performance during the evaluation period. Provides the employees with a summary of their strengths, areas for improvement and developmental plan for the future.
- Utilizes technology to analyze and develop statistical measures of the Surgical Services Department’s performance metrics, reports and programs, including Block Utilization by physician.
- Ensures the continuous survey readiness of any and all regulatory agencies including Joint Commission, EEOC and other governmental agencies.
Standards of Performance:
- Meets or exceeds goals and expectations assigned and as measured through the Leader Evaluation Tool (LET).
- Reports regularly to the Vice President/CNO on the Surgical Services Department-related activities and presents monthly updates in a clear and concise manner.
- Serves as an active participant and member of all committees, task forces and special assignments as measured by the ability to arrive to meetings prepared and on time, and provide guidance to key leaders of the organization in this capacity.
- Prepares, maintains and monitors budgets in areas of authority with no more or less than a 5% annual variance.
- Develops and implements clinical training and in-service programs.
- Negotiates conflict and maintains constructive working relationships with people at all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrates positive interpersonal skills in communicating with staff, patients and visitors and others in the community so that the organization is positively perceived.
- Recommends, implements, directs, coordinates and supervises service-oriented and cost effective policies and procedures in all areas of authority.
- Promotes physician satisfaction within the scope of the surgical services department.
- Demonstrates on-going performance improvements aimed at operational efficiencies, process improvements and financial outcomes.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of procedures and interpretations of all human resources, federal, state and JCAHO laws and regulations.
- Ensures that all safety and infection control policies and practices in the delivery of direct patient care are observed as measured by feedback and observation from nursing, medical and management staff.
- Demonstrates reliability as measured by compliance with the Time and Attendance policy.
- Demonstrates professional conduct and adherence to all safety, confidentiality, and HIPAA standards.
- Promotes teamwork with the entire staff, as well as other contacts within the department, as measured by observations of manager and co-workers.
Competitive Salary Range!