Job Opening for a Registered Nurse – ICU located on the Central Coast of California.
Functions independently in performing the nursing process through assessment, planning, intervention and evaluation of safe therapeutic care for patient’s overt and covert needs and/or complications of treatment in the Intensive Care Unit. Able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide individualized care appropriate to the age of the patients served in the Intensive Care Unit.
Collects and documents data about patients commonly seen in the ICU through the following methods:
- Interviews the patient or other significant source and completes appropriate history/assessment information on patient’s clinical record.
- Legibly documents symptoms that indicate risk on the clinical record.
- Incorporates nursing diagnostic data into written assessment.
- Documents information from family, other nurses and physicians in the written assessment.
- Documents patient problems requiring nursing interaction.
- Documents identified problems using nursing diagnosis including patient teaching needs and discharge planning on patient’s clinical record.
- Utilizes resources (patient, family, nurses, physicians and written material) to formulate a written plan of care.
- Develops and contributes to a plan of nursing action based on existing problems and obtainable patient response.
- Develops and contributes to the nursing care plan using nursing process.
- Incorporates medical plan of care when developing nursing care plan.
- Communicates the plan of care by using methods that include action plans, goals and time frames.
- Updates care plans using nursing diagnosis and outcome criteria.
- Aware of time frames when carrying out medical/nursing plan of care
- Uses shift report to communicate changes and response to care.
- Implements safe therapeutic care for patients.
- Documents and sets priorities for care of patients based on acuity, need, or patient preference.
- Safely performs and documents nursing interventions required by the patient assignment consistent with research-based principles and hospital policy
- Carries out and documents the medical and nursing care plans for assigned patients and coordinates patient care activities with nurses and physicians and other healthcare team members
- Response to information/data indicative of acute risk and documents the action.
- Seeks out appropriate resources.
- Explains tests, procedures, and disease process to patient/family. Follows through with teaching plan about information by instructing patient/family and skills essential to understanding and coping with illness and for the promotion of optimal health and as it applies to the discharge process.
- Assesses patient/family level of understanding and documents on clinical records.
- Actively participates in Code procedures.
- Ensures patients are reassessed as status requires.
- Completes clinical assignments in a timely fashion and prioritizes own workload relative to patient care.
- Maintains special equipment and supplies necessary for provision of patient care through next shift including:
- ICU specific supplies/equipment (e.g., A-lines, CVPs, transducers, transvenous pacing).
- Medical/Surgical Supplies
- Maintains safe, therapeutic physical environment
- Participates in the evaluation and review of patient care.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of nursing interventions in relation to intended goal.
- Documents patient response to care in Nurses notes.
- Revises patient care plans based on evaluation of effectiveness of interventions.
- Provides an environment for growth that facilitates the teaching/learning process.
- Provides both formal and informal teaching activities to promote staff education/knowledge.
- Communicates identified learning needs of others to resources able to meet learner’s needs.
- Assists in the development and implementation of educational programs and learning aids for the nursing unit, such as:
- Krames software
- Patient care guidelines
- Nursing or hospital committees
- Computer Assisted Instruction (CAI)
- Assists in orientation of new staff by sharing knowledge, experiences and verbal encouragement and acting as preceptor.
Policies and procedures.
- Is knowledgeable of, follows and directs others to follow hospital policies and procedures and nursing unit protocols.
- Administers medications safely and accurately following existing department procedures.
- Maintains principles and procedures of intravenous therapy.
- Follows Infection Control policies/procedures, i.e., prescribed hand-washing and universal precautions.
- Applies principles of prevention and safety for patients and staff.
- Uses mechanical equipment correctly and appropriately as outlined in the Nursing Procedure Manual. Detects faulty equipment and notifies appropriate person for repairs.
- Maintains cost containment efforts by prudent use of supplies and equipment; charging supplies and equipment appropriately.
Delegation and supervision.
- Supervises delegated care based on abilities and limitation of heath care personnel and patient acuity. Makes adjustments in delegated assignments as needed.
- Reports changing patient status that affects nursing unit staffing needs using appropriate supervisory communication structure.
- Utilizes the steps of problem solving to resolve identified patient related problems.
- Reports unit related problems using the supervisory communication structure.
- If available, responds cooperatively to requests for assistance from other nursing units.
- Acts as a resource to other staff members in problem identification and resolution.
- Utilizes appropriate professional communication skills.
- Listens to the ideas, opinions and feeling of others
Uses communication (interpersonal) strategies with individual patients and staff that result in:
- Achievement of intended outcomes
- Achievement of ICU objectives
- Gathers, disseminates and communicates pertinent information.
- Attends and participates in 80% of the staff meetings per year.
- Obtains information presented in staff meetings.
- Participates in nursing unit goal setting.
- Attends mandatory in-service programs.
- Participates in committee work as requested.
- Reviews communication/information book every shift.
- Maintains professional responsibilities to enhance personal growth
- Understands and functions within the scope of the California nurse Practice Act.
- Keeps all licenses and certificates current.
- Plans for personal change and growth based on evaluation and feedback.
- Participates in setting measurable goals for performance.
- Acquires knowledge or experience to meet goals.
- Passes ECG test with a minimum score of 80%.
- Complies with annual skills update as required.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Performs other duties within capabilities as assigned by Manager.
Willingly floats and cross-trains to other units as needed.
- Graduates of an Accredited School of Nursing – required
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing – preferred
- Minimum of (1) one year acute care experience within the past (2) two years.
- Minimum of (1) one year nursing experience and be able to complete a comprehensive preceptorship (comprised of didactic and clinical) in critical care nursing within (1) one year of hire.
- The preceptorship will only be available to full-time employees.
- Current California RN License – required
- Current AHA BLS – required
- Current AHA ACLS – required
- Current AHA PALS within three months of hire date or transfer to the ICU.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) – preferred.
- Must be able to sit for 4 hours and stand/walk for 6 hours or more per day.
- Must be able to reach overhead.
- Must be able to push/pull/lift/carry up to 35 pounds.
- Moderate exposure to hazardous waste and materials.
- Will be dealing with patient’s age 0 to 120 years
- Ability to work well with others and to perform a variety of assigned duties.
DISCLAIMER: The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Executive & Management Recruitment Services
(415) 770-1200 – call/text