Job Opening for a Registered Nurse (Dialysis) located on the Central Coast of California.
Responsible for the safe delivery of hemodialysis in the chronic setting.
- Obtains, reviews and implements medical orders of MD
- Performs medical and psychosocial patient assessment by systemic review and records finding.
- Reviews lab data and informs the physician of patient changes
- Monitors assesses, changes, and appropriately intervenes in accordance with changes in the patient’s condition charts all pertinent data
- Meets or provides for meeting the emotional needs of patient and families as they confront the psychological impact of chronic dialysis
- Develops, implements, and evaluates patient care plans with goal of maximal rehabilitation of patient in collaboration with other members of the health care team.
- Assesses patient and family learning readiness, teaches patient and significant others about renal disease, prescribed treatment, and the medical regimen for their impact on patient’s state of health and well-being.
- Provides follow-up care as appropriate and prescribed to support self-care and home care.
- Administers treatments as indicated including medications, use of O2, and other therapeutic measures.
- Initiates and performs emergency medical treatments, including cardiopulmonary resuscitation for cardiac/pulmonary emergencies.
- Maintains cost containment efforts by prudent use of supplies and equipment.
- Charges for supplies and equipment appropriately.
- Rinses, primes, and positions all appropriate equipment, attaches and installs all required tubing, prepares fluid delivery system and fluid bath, calibrates and checks alarms, sets monitors, and performs system check as required.
- Inspects and assesses access site(s)
- Uses mechanical equipment correctly and as outlined in the Nursing Procedure Manual.
- Detects faulty equipment and notifies appropriate person for repairs.
- Performs assessments as indicted prior to treatment and proceeds with the treatment based on such assessments and physician orders.
- Obtains blood samples and other specimens as ordered.
- Initiates and discontinues dialysis utilizing and established vascular access, cannula, or subclavian vein dialysis catheter including administration of intradermal anesthetic as needed.
- Safely administers intravenous fluids, medications, blood and blood products following existing department procedures.
- Performs Cannula declotting as policy indicates.
- Assesses, makes judgments, and treats problem situation on dialysis related to blood pressure and weight changes or other patient physical conditions, access patency, dialysates composition, blood and fluid flows, TMP, and anticoagulation according to established protocols.
- Cleans and dresses access sites and wounds using appropriate aseptic techniques
- Maintains a safe environment for patients and staff by following infection control procedures.
- Understands alternative forms of management for patients with ESRD and ensures that each patient is aware of these options.
- Recognizes and communicates to proper authority ethical and legal issues relative to patient care.
- Complete notification forms according to protocol and notifies appropriate personnel.
- Applies for patient and staff.
Delegation and Supervision
- Supervises delegated care based on abilities and limitations of health care personnel and patient acuity.
- Makes adjustments in delegate’s assignments as needed.
- Reports changing patient status that affects dialysis treatment and needs.
- Responds to immediate staffing and/or patient needs. Assists other staff when own assignment is complete.
- Utilizes the steps of problem solving to resolve identified patient-related problems.
- Reports unit related problems using the supervisory communication structure.
- Acts as a resource to other staff members in problem identification and resolution
Participates in Staff Teaching and Development
- Provides both formal and informal teaching activities to promote staff education/knowledge.
- Assist in the development and implementation of educational programs and learning aids for the dialysis unit such as:
- Learning aids
- Patient care guidelines
- Pursing or hospital committees
- Assists in orientation of new staff by sharing knowledge and experiences
- Assists others in choosing nursing intervention, developing skills, and applying knowledge
Gathers, Disseminates and Communicates Pertinent Information.
- Complete clinical assignment in a timely fashion including maintenance of equipment and supplies necessary for provision of patient care
- Completes non-clinical assignments, tasks and projects within a pre-established agreed upon time frame.
- Prioritizes own workload relative to patient care needs.
- Attends staff meetings and mandatory in-service programs.
- Obtains information presented in staff meetings when unable to attend
- Participates in nursing unit goal setting.
- Participates in committee work as requested.
Maintains Professional Responsibilities to Enhance Personal Growth
- Understands and functions within the scope of the California Nurse Practice Act.
- Keeps all licenses and certifications current
- Plans for personal change and growth based on evaluation and feedback
- Participates in setting measurable goals for performance.
- Acquires knowledge and experience to meet goals.
- Graduates of an Accredited School of Nursing
- Minimum of nine (9) months nursing experience plus a minimum of three (3) additional months experience in Dialysis.
- Minimum of three (3) additional months experience in Dialysis
- Current California RN license. Current AHA BLS certification.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
- Must be able to sit for 2 hours and stand/walk for 6 hours or more per day.
- Must be able to reach overhead and lift/carry up to 25 pounds.
- Willing to perform repetitive tasks.
- Ability to work well with others and to perform a variety of assigned duties.
DISCLAIMER: The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Competitive Salary Range!
Executive & Management Recruitment Services
(415) 770-1200 – call/text