Job Opening for a Registered Nurse (Obstetrics) located on the Central Coast of California.
Collects and documents data about patients through the following methods:
- Interviews the patient and/or significant others verbal history and does a maternal/fetal initial assessment as soon as possible.
- Prenatal record and other clinical data is included as part of that initial assessment.
- Complete physical assessment findings and verbal history is documented in the medical record utilizing the appropriate data collection forms within two (2) hours.
Utilizes resources to assess patients with new or unfamiliar conditions.
- Documents information from other nurses, physicians and other health team members in the written assessment.
Interprets overt and covert assessment data to determine when a patient is currently or potentially at physiological and/or psychosocial risk.
- Reports and records overt and covert assessment data for patients who are currently or potentially at acute physiological psychosocial risk.
Documents real and potential patient problems requiring nurse information.
- Documents real and potential patient problems including:
- patient teaching needs and discharge planning on patient’s clinical record.
- Documentation should reflect nursing standards.
Develops and contributes to plan of nursing standards and action based on existing and potential problems and obtainable patient response. Incorporates the medical plan of care. Utilizes past experience to provide a range of options for nursing care action.
Seeks out new resources when needed
- Documents the use of new or unusual resources when obtained.
Communicates the plan of care by using methods that include action plans, goals and time frames.
- Updates care plans using Nursing standards, goal setting methods and time frames.
Implements safe therapeutic care for patients.
- Documents and sets priorities for care of patients based on acuity, need, or patient preference.
- Anticipates potential problems and adapts to change on the unit by setting priorities for emergencies, changes in patient status and unusual occurrences.
- Makes nursing decisions base on interpretation of facts and past experience.
Carries out and documents the medical and nursing care plans for said patients and coordinates patient care activities with nurses and physicians and allied health professionals.
Demonstrates knowledge and efficiency in performing all establish procedures during the labor and delivery process.
- Follows unit protocols for immediate post-partum care.
Allows for bonding between infant and parents, assists with breastfeeding if needed.
- Demonstrates ability to provide goal directed care to the newborn following the established policies /procedures, and protocols.
- Cleans the labor and delivery areas using the established hospital procedure.
- Replaces all supplies or reorders as needed.
- Notifies Housekeeping when rooms are ready to be cleaned per hospital policy.
- Demonstrates knowledge and ability to do all procedures required in the care of the newborn
- Explains tests, procedures, and birthing process to patient/family.
- Teaches patient/family knowledge and skills essential to birthing and infant care.
- Demonstrates knowledge of Out Patient procedures relevant to the department and actively participates in procedures or programs as requested.
- Teaches mothers self-care/infant care. Includes family members in the teaching process.
- Assess patient/family level of understanding and adjusts appropriately; documents information on clinical records.
- Communicates and interacts with patient/family in a way that is perceived to be positive and supportive.
- Utilizes other health care professional in dealing with psychosocial problems.
- Intervenes to decrease stress and/or increase effectiveness of coping mechanism of patient/family having difficulties, as well as extreme or unexpected difficulties dealing with birthing, hospitalization and discharge planning.
Evaluates and reviews patient care
- Evaluates the effectiveness of nursing interventions in relation to intended goal.
- Gives rationale for action or inaction base on one or more of the following:
- Scientific principle
- Proven practice/experience
- Research finding
- Legal implications
- Participates in patient care conferences.
Staff teaching and development
- Incorporates principles of adult learning into both formal and informal teaching activities.
- Communicates identified learning needs of others to resources able to meet learner’s needs.
- Assists in the development and implementation of educational programs and learning aids for the nursing unit, such as:
- Patient care standards
- Nursing or hospital committees
- Utilizes opportunities for incidental teaching with staff member (i.e. during report, at the bedside, during discussions)
- Assists in orientation of new staff by sharing knowledge, experiences and verbal encouragement.
- Continues in maintenance of self -learning for current obstetrical standards, practice and knowledge.
Policies and procedures.
- Directs others to follow hospital policies and procedures and unit protocols.
- Administers medications safely.
- Adheres to principles and procedures of intravenous therapy maintenance.
- Follows Infection Control policies and procedures as identified in manual.
- Recognizes and communicates to proper authority ethical and legal issues relative to patient care.
- Completes notification forms according to protocol and notifies appropriate personnel.
- Applies principles of prevention and safety for patients and staff.
- Uses mechanical equipment correctly and appropriately.
- Detects faulty equipment and notifies appropriate person for repairs.
- Maintains cost containment efforts by prudent use of supplies and equipment; charging supplies and equipment appropriately.
- Participates in maintenance of Quality Improvement, Performance Improvement standards and practice
Delegation and supervision.
- Supervises delegated care based on abilities and limitation of heath care personnel and patient acuity.
- Makes adjustments in delegated assignments as needed.
- Reports changing patient status that affects nursing unit staffing needs using appropriate supervisory communication structure.
- Responds cooperatively to immediate staffing and/or patient care needs.
- Assists other staff when own assignment is complete.
- Utilizes the steps of problem solving to resolve identified patient related problems.
- Reports unit related problems using the supervisory communication structure.
Maintains interpersonal relations/communications.
- Listens to the ideas, opinions and feeling of others
- Uses communication (interpersonal) strategies with individual patients and staff that result in:
- Achievement of intended outcomes
- Others expressed perception of acceptance/satisfaction
- Gives feedback to other staff in regard to behavior that is detrimental to:
- Achievement of patient care objectives
- Achievement of nursing unit and organizational objectives.
- Suggests options for achieving change in behavior when needed.
- Identifies and assists in altering unproductive behavior based on principles of group dynamics.
Unit, department, hospital contribution.
- Completes clinical assignments in a timely fashion including maintenance of equipment and supplies necessary for provision of patient care through next shift.
- Medical/Surgical supplies
- Maintains safe, therapeutic, physical environment.
- Completes non-clinical assignments, tasks, and projects within a pre-established agreed upon time frame.
- Prioritizes own workload relative to patient care
- Attends and participates in staff meetings
- Obtains information presented in staff meetings.
- Participates in unit goal setting.
- Attends mandatory in-service programs.
- Attends 50% of hospital provided programs.
- Participates in self-study program.
- Participates in committee work willingly and as requested.
- Participates in the review and evaluation of the quality of care provided to the patient.
Maintains professional responsibilities to enhance personal growth
- Understands and functions within the scope of the California nurse Practice Act.
- Keeps all licenses and certificates current.
- Plans for personal change and growth based on evaluation and feedback.
- Participates in setting measurable goals for performance
- Acquires knowledge or experience to meet goals.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Performs other duties within capabilities as assigned by charge nurse &/or Manager.
- Graduate of an Accredited School of Nursing
- Six months recent experience in labor and delivery unit preferable with adequate number of deliveries to ensure competence in all areas of labor, delivery, post-partum and newborn care.
- Knowledge of high-risk labor/delivery, neonatal and post-partum management.
- All new hires will within 3 months have completed the APS Perinatal Safety curriculum or other comparable contents coursework endorsed by ACOG or AAWHONN.
EXCEPTION: RNs hired for L&D training will preferably have a basic fetal monitor class. By 6 months an Intermediate or Advanced AWHONN Fetal Monitor Certificate is required.
- Current California RN License
- Current AHA BLS
- Current NRP
- Current ACLS desirable
- Current S.T.A.B.L.E. desirable
- Current Intermediate or Advanced AWHONN Fetal Monitoring Certificate, (within 6 months of hire or transfer to OB Department)
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
- Must be able to sit for 4 hours and stand/walk for 6 hours or more per day.
- Must be able to reach overhead and lift/carry up to 50 pounds.
- Will be dealing with neonates, adolescents, and adults.
- While on call, employee must be able to respond to hospital within 60 minutes.
- Ability to work well with others and to perform a variety of assigned duties.
DISCLAIMER: The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Competitive Salary Range!
Executive & Management Recruitment Services
(415) 770-1200 – call/text