REPORTS TO: For Administrative/Employment matters reports to the Health Center Director (PMHD Management); For All Clinical Matters reports to the Medical Director and/or Supervising Physician SUMMARY:
Under the leadership of the program Medical Director (physician), the CNM/NP independently manages family planning (reproductive health) services for women and men and pregnancy care of low-risk women during antepartum, intrapartum and postpartum periods. Co-manages higher risk patients when determined appropriate by CNM/NP and Physician. Provides standard maternity care and counseling to women, adhering to the standards of the American College of Nurse Midwives, procedures and instructions regulated by the State Nurse Practice Act.
- Effectively, ethically and accurately utilizes the Electronic Medical Record (EMR) system to records all findings of examinations, histories, significant observations and management of medications.
- Completes all required documentation elements in a timely manner in support of PMHD standard billing guidelines; responds to requests from Health Information Management and Patient Accounting in a timely manner.
- Evaluates patient’s general and obstetrical health status. Determines pregnancy status, duration of gestation, presentation, and position of fetus, fetal heart rate, and determines whether all statistics are within normal limits.
- Obtains an accurate medical, obstetrical, gynecological and social history and an account of the course of the present pregnancy.
- Observes signs of the patient’s general and obstetrical health status. Performs all appropriate physical examinations appropriate to CNM/NP care needed, including the pap smear, breast examination, and pelvic examination.
- Consults with appropriate MD regarding any abnormal findings. Obtains consultation and assistance from ancillary services as needed.
- Teaches, counsels and guides patients regarding their individual health care.
- Evaluates maternal general health status and wellbeing.
- For program patients presenting at PMHD, provides consultation with outpatient antenatal testing and OB triage staff.
Intrapartum (if privileged to perform such functions by the PMHD Medical Staff)
- Performs medical screening exam to diagnose labor. Independently manages the care of low risk women during labor and delivery, under the supervision of a physician. Co-manages higher risk patients when determined appropriate by CNM/NP and MD.
- Performs PMH specific standardized procedures. Evaluates patient for appropriate pain management, including requesting epidural for women in labor.
- Performs vaginal deliveries according to standardized procedures.
- May assist in C-Section deliveries and select GYN surgeries as requested by the OB/GYN Physicians
- If privileged to perform such care by the PMHD Medical Staff, may perform inpatient OB/GYN rounding and discharge-related functions.
- Provides health supervision, care, teaches family planning, and prescribes contraception to women during the postpartum period.
- Works collaboratively with the Department Director, clinical support staff, related ancillary departments and PMHD Administrative management in the development of the program with emphasis on quality care, outcomes, customer service/satisfaction.
- Works in collaboration with the Department Director, Medical Director and/or Supervising Physician(s) in the review and development of policies, procedures, work instructions and protocols required to maintain regulatory compliance and program improvement.
- Participates actively in the department Quality Improvement (QI) initiatives seeking continuous improvement of department function and clinical outcomes.
- Other duties as assigned from time to time.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None.
EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND EXPERIENCE:
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing required.
- Prefer experience as a Nurse Midwife/NP within the last three years.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS:
- Must be currently licensed in the State of California for Registered Nurse, Nurse Midwife, Nurse Practitioner and Nurse Midwife Furnishing (including any needed education in pharmacy).
- A.C.N.M. certification required within one year of hire.
- Current and valid DEA registration number specific to practice at PMH to be obtained within one year of hire at midwife’s expense.
- National Provider Identifier (NPI) required
- Current BLS, ACLS, NRP certifications.
- Must have evidence of completion of fetal monitoring course.
Contact:Tina Roberts, President
JONATHAN CHASE EXECUTIVE SEARCH
588 Sutter Street, Suite 349
San Francisco, CA 94102
(415) 770-1200 (415) 684-2526