Job opening for a Director of Surgical Services located in Idaho.
OR Rooms-7, Run 6 rooms Mon-Wed, 5-Thurs, 4-Friday
Average case volume-3800 surgeries/year
FTE’s: 22 in the OR
Under the direction and supervision of the Director of Surgical Services, has line functional responsibility for departmental management. Responsibilities shall include, but not limited to: administers the day to day operation of the following departments: Operating Room, Recovery Room, and Pre-Op Holding. Serves as a role model for professional nursing practice. Maintains 24-hour a day line management and responsibility in administration of personnel, fiscal, and material resources. Creatively responds to changes in the work setting. Participates in program planning for new projects. Knowledgeable in clinical areas of supervision, using defined processes to establish goals and outcomes which reflect systems integration.
The Manager must demonstrate knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of patients severed in his/her department. He/she must be able to provide care with consideration of developmental status.
PRIMARY (ESSENTIAL) DUTIES
A. Meets with the Director of Surgical Services, on a regular basis to discuss departmental objectives, policies and procedures, standards of care, management and personnel concerns, incidents and emergencies pertinent to patient care operations, personnel management, and other issues affecting the department.
B. Manages activities, workflow and nursing resources of assigned nursing unit(s).
a. Establishes an environment that will provide for the provision of quality patient care within the philosophy, objectives, and goals of the department, Division, and Medical Center. Inspects department regularly for compliance with policies and procedures, goals, objectives, and philosophy. Takes appropriate action when noncompliance occurs.
b. Provides for effective and efficient utilization of personnel. Develops unit staffing patterns and time scheduling practices which: facilitate the delivery of consistent and efficient nursing care; comply with budgetary constraints and applicable policies according to individual patient acuity. Plans, directs, and evaluates departmental routines. Supervises and coordinates all activities within the department so that the work flow is smooth and in the best interest of patients, family members, personnel, and physicians.
i. Coordinates activities with other nursing and non‑nursing departments as appropriate in assuring the smooth functioning of individual department as well as house-wide cooperation.
ii. Establishes and maintains effective communications and rapport with Medical Staff members in a manner that is receptive to their needs and concerns thus providing for collaborative working relationships.
c. Participates in hospital orientation programs in cooperation with the Education department. Participates with hiring, training, directing, development and evaluating of staff, and enforces regulatory standards in areas of supervision and implements in-service programs to support and comply with these standards.
i. Assures that appropriate departmental orientation is provided to all personnel and that timely evaluation of orienteers occurs. Staffing responsibilities; RN’s, Surgical Technicians, Anesthesia Technicians, OR Assistants, Certified Nurse Assistant, and Schedulers.
d. Monitors and adheres to cost initiatives regarding supplies, equipment, and preference cards. Evaluates the nursing care delivery system utilizing a variety of techniques such as consultation with patients and health care providers, evaluates efficient use of resources, and perceived satisfaction of patients/families. Develops cost containment strategies: helps educate unit personnel on their role in controlling costs.
- Participates in maintaining accrediting agencies established standards and participating in the upgrading of standards by involvement in the planning of constructive change: (a) assists in establishing departmental and Division policies, implementation and administration of the policies, and assists in assuring that required standards are met; (b) participates in the updating and maintaining of procedure manuals; (c)cooperates with other members of Patient Care Services administration in the planning and organizing of Division functions and activities, establishing policy, achieving and/or maintaining objectives and goals, problem‑solving, institution of new systems when appropriate, and other appropriate or assigned projects; (d) provides staff and career development to subordinates and support for peers in professional and personal development. Implements established policies and procedures of the Medical Center and Nursing Division, and interprets them to personnel, patients, Medical Staff, and public. Follows Association of Operating Room Nurses (AORN) guidelines, American Society of Perianesthesia Nurses Standards (ASPAN), Association of the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation (AAMI). Continues to monitor for overall quality assurance and compliance.
- Participates in hospital, Medical Staff, and Division committees as assigned.
- Keeps up‑to‑date in the field of nursing and departmental management through current literature, attendance at workshops and seminars. Maintains education attendance records of other departmental personnel.
- The above statements reflect the general duties considered necessary to describe the principle functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
Licensed Registered Nurse in the State of Idaho or licensure eligible.
BSN or Bachelor of Science in a related field is required.
Three to four years of experience in specialty required.
Management experience preferred.
Certified Nurse Operating Room (CNOR) Certification required. Basic Life Support (BLS) required.
With warm weather and mild winters, this area has more sunny days than almost any other place in the Northwest! Recreational opportunities abound, from premiere waterskiing, jet boating, sailing, whitewater rafting, hunting, fishing, swimming, golfing, hiking and camping to shopping, family fun, and fantastic events. Miles of paved levee pathways follow the rivers for walking, jogging and biking. You can find some of the greatest fishing for salmon, steelhead, small mouth bass, trout and sturgeon. Snow skiing and snowmobiling are only a short drive away. Shopping in downtown provides many opportunities for antiques, art galleries, gift stores, viewing historic buildings and stopping along the way to dine at local eateries or to grab an espresso at the local coffee house. The mall houses a complementary mix of retail specialty stores, restaurants and service centers in a climate-controlled facility or head over to the Plaza for local retail chains such as Pier One Imports, TJ Maxx and Eddie Bauer.
Spokane, WA (104)
Coeur d’Alene, ID (116)
Missoula, MT (217)
Boise, ID (267)
Competitive Salary Range!
How to apply for the Director of Surgical Services Job: contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Executive & Management Recruitment Services
(415) 770-1200 – call/text-the quickest way to reach me.