Job opening in a hospital located near College Park, Maryland, close to the DC border, for a Pathologist Assistant to join their team. No relocation provided.
- Prepare and triage cases to be grossed-in by evaluating Anatomic Pathology requisition order forms and specimens for completeness and accuracy in regard to patient identification and appropriate tissue collection. Printing specimen cassettes with accession number and assigning differentiation of histologic processing according to varied specimen type.
- Determines area of the gross specimens to be samples for microscopic analysis and cuts area into appropriate sized sections for further processing. Analyzes certain gross specimens and biopsy specimens: identifies and measures, weights and describes specimens according to established guidelines. Performs sectioning and dictates gross features of these specimens.
- Clarifies, resolves, and documents issues involving inadequate grossing / additional tissue submission, context of gross description in pathology reports, tissue block discordance, or other concerns arising associated with the gross dissection of a case.
- Maintains all associated instrumentation and applicable properties associated with the physical area of gross dissection, performs formalin monitoring, keeps grossing area stocked with applicable necessary supplies and in clean, working order. Assists in the evaluation and development of new procedures, methods, quality assurance monitors, and instrumentation.
- Assists with cutting and processing frozen section slides whenever necessary.
- Assists with processing, cutting and staining of histology slides when necessary.
- Assist with accessioning specimens when necessary.
- Maintains a clear open channel of communication with the Pathologists via all applicable methodology (phone and internet).
- Responsive to requests; Pulls specimen containers in timely manner, makes appropriate adjustments to technique when asked, is fluid to procedural changes.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in pathologists’ assistant, medical technology, clinical laboratory science, or chemical, physical or biological science required.
- Foreign Medical Degree with experience in Anatomic Pathology (International Degree Equivalency Report must be provided).
Proper documentation for applicable degree is required (i.e. copies of diplomas, transcripts, or International Degree Equivalency Report). Major must be clearly stated on the document. If diploma does not indicate the major, an additional document that states major is required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Must be eligible to obtain a Certified Pathologist Assistant (ASCP) within one year of hire date, Pathologist Assistant (ASCP) certification eligibility is dependent upon graduating from a NAACLS accredited PA program within the last 5 years.
- Must have a foreign medical degree with experience in Anatomic Pathology.
- Experience with Pathology LIS system – Co Path preferred.
- Experience with Voice Recognition software preferred.
- Minimum one (1) year of experience in Anatomic Pathology
- Master’s degree as a Pathologists’ Assistant.
- Certified as a Pathologist Assistant by the American Society for Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) preferred
Competitive Salary Range!
Executive & Management Recruitment Services
(415) 770-1200 – call/text