A large hospital near Charlotte, NC, has a need for a Laboratory Director for Core Lab to join their team. They are looking for someone who has a combination of hospital based and commercial lab experience. Experience in working in a Lean environment with a focus on continuous improvement is required. Someone who is dynamic with a high energy level. A strong customer focus, visible, can be flexible is a must as well. The Director will be overseeing 130 FTEs. The core lab is a free standing operation, not within a hospital.
- The Director Lab/Core Lab controls general management of the Core Laboratory including planning, budgeting and evaluation of the department services.
- The Core Laboratory is a 28,000 sq/ft facility which opened in July 2015.
- The facility was designed and built with a Lean perspective using the Toyota model.
- Functional areas of responsibility include: Chemistry, Hematology (Beckman Coulter automation), Specimen Management, Microbiology, Molecular, Flow Cytometry, Cytogenetics and HLA testing.
- In addition to handling high volume outpatient testing, the core lab serves as a reference laboratory to the Atrium Health system.
- Collects, generates, analyzes, and distributes statistical reports as required.
- Develops a long-range operational plan relative to services, programs, capital, and human resources planning and annual capital equipment and replacement plans.
- Develops and operates within the annual department budget and justifies monthly variances.
- Follows up on error correction and establishes corrective action to address identified problems.
- Establishes changes for services.
- Regulates the lab compliance program and monitors for effectiveness and improves the assigned laboratories as needed and possible.
- Accesses, maintains and improves the proficiency of supervised persons by continuing instruction. Oversees that new personnel and students are properly trained.
- Maintains, improves and continually checks the accuracy of test methods and instruments in the assigned laboratories.
- Communicates to Leadership deficiencies in the assigned laboratories, progress of test development, and all the unusual occurrences which may require the attention of Leadership.
- Maintains an adequate supply of materials in the assigned laboratories. Evaluates new procedures and equipment.
Education, Experience and Certifications
- Bachelors Degree required.
- ASCP (Med Tech) certification may be required.
- 5 years experience in medical laboratory required.
- Minimum of 2 years management experience to include personnel, financial, regulatory, and information system expertise required.
- Advanced degree or training in management preferred.
Competitive Salary Range!
Executive & Management Recruitment Services
(415) 770-1200 – call/text