Job Opening for a Certified Nurse Midwife located Central Coast California.
The Certified Nurse Midwife functions and works as a part of a team and manages obstetric, gynecologic and neonatal care of selected group of patients. Essential functions include: providing full scope of nurse-midwifery care to patients within assigned clinics/units and serving as a clinical liaison for staff in maternal child units, as directed by supervising obstetrician.
PERFORMANCE DIMENSIONS AND TASKS
- Performs procedures as qualified by training, specialty and protocol with supervising physician oversight and approval.
- Takes complete histories and performs physical examinations, or those assessments pertinent to the reason for the visit, in order to provide a patient data base and/or basis for a therapeutic or health maintenance plan.
- Orders appropriate laboratory tests, x-rays, EKG and comparable procedures, under established protocols.
- Diagnoses and treats common illnesses and injuries under established protocols.
- Practices in accordance of hospital bylaws and guidelines.
- Records health, social and other pertinent problems and data in the medical records.
- Orders routine medications and treatments under established protocols for acutely and chronically ill patients under the supervision of the physician and established protocols.
- Works with other staff in the establishment, evaluation and monitoring of treatment programs.
- Follows all policies and procedures (medical and fiscal) when completing medical charts, billing forms and other required paperwork.
- Reviews protocols and patient care activities with supervising physician annually.
- Reviews all referrals with supervising physician.
- Participates in quality assurance and utilization review.
- Maintains high quality by self-monitoring patient care activities, staying current in area of specialty/practice and participating in Hospital quality improvement programs.
- Acts as a resource person for “triage” questions, patient case management, and assessment.
- Provides staff and patient education as needed.
- Enhances the professional practice by participation in problem solving with management, nursing and clerical staff.
- Serves as a member of selected committees as assigned.
- Notifies management of instrument and/or procedural problems within specified timeframes.
- Works cooperatively with management and staff to ensure optimum patient flow and to provide that patients are attended in an efficient and timely manner.
Antepartum Duties: (As directed by Supervising Obstetrician)
- Evaluate patient’s general and obstetrical health status
- Determine pregnancy status, duration of gestation, presentation, and position of fetus, fetal heart rate, and determines whether all statistics are within normal limits.
- Obtains an accurate medical, obstetrical, gynecological and social history and an account of the course of the present pregnancy.
- Observes signs of the member’s general and obstetrical health status
- Performs all appropriate physical examinations appropriate to CNM care needed, including the Pap smear, breast examination, and pelvic examination. Records all findings of examinations, histories and significant observations on patients’ medical record.
- Consults with appropriate physician regarding any abnormal findings.
- Orders appropriate lab and medical imaging studies as needed.
- Institutes preventative measures and detects abnormal conditions.
- Obtains consultation and assistance from ancillary services as needed.
- Provides antepartum patient education.
- Evaluates maternal general health status and well-being.
Intrapartum Duties: (as directed by Supervising Obstetrician)
- Performs medical screening exam to diagnose labor.
- Independently manages the care of low risk women during labor and delivery, under the supervision of a physician.
- Co-manages higher risk patients when determined appropriate by the CNM and physician.
- Performs facility specific standardized procedures.
- Evaluates patient for appropriate pain management, including requesting epidural for women in labor.
Postpartum Duties: (as directed by Supervising Obstetrician)
- Provides health supervision, care, teaches family planning and prescribes contraception to women during the postpartum period.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Although each position has its own unique duties and responsibilities, the following expectations apply to all positions at the Hospital.
Policies and Procedures:
- Learns new procedures and accepts new assignments within reasonable timeframes, to be agreed upon by the employee and supervisor.
- Maintains an awareness of changes in policies, procedures and protocol.
- Arrives on time and prepared to start assignment.
- Does not abuse paid time off.
- Maintains universal precautions.
- Attends department and other meetings as required.
- Complies with Hospital confidentiality, safety, infection control, and exposure control policies.
- Assists patients with courtesy regardless of age, gender, nationality and disability without prejudice or bias.
- Complies with all policies and procedures as outlined in the adopted Policy and Procedures manual.
- Wears I.D. badge.
- Has completed mandatory safety and security education including annual fire/safety and hazardous materials review.
- Demonstrates correct use of fire extinguisher.
- Complies with annual physical examination as required.
- Complies with the Hospital’s twelve customer service standards.
- Establishes and maintains a cooperative relationship with patients, staff and other individuals.
- Listens to and respects the ideas, feelings and opinions of others.
- Demonstrates effective communication skills by conveying necessary information accurately, listening effectively and asking pertinent questions when clarification is needed.
- Demonstrates good judgment in handling situations not covered by written or verbal instructions.
- Adapts to changes or unusual circumstances in a way that promotes cooperation and minimizes disruption in working environment.
- Follows written and verbal instructions of supervisor.
- Interacts with fellow employees in a way that promotes harmonious and cooperative working environment.
- Recognizes and resolves problems; troubleshoots malfunctions in procedures and uses alternative methods if available.
- Coordinates efforts of work effectively with others in a way that is productive.
- Coordinates efforts of effective work activities that contribute to Hospital needs.
- Note: An essential function required by all employees is strict adherence to Hospital polices as described in the employee handbook including, but not limited to that regarding attendance and punctuality.
Ages Patients Served
Adolescent & Adult
- Testing Care/Treatment
- Completion of a nurse midwife educational training program accredited by the American College of Nurse Midwives (ACNM) and the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN)
- Ability to communicate effectively and problem solve
- Licensed as a Nurse Midwife with the Board of Registered Nursing in the State of California
- Licensed as a Registered Nurse with the Board of Registered Nursing in the State of California
- Current active certification by the American Midwifery Certification Board (or its predecessor, the American College of Nurse Midwives (ACNM) Certification Council), or be actively seeking initial certification and obtain the same on the first examination for which he or she is eligible.
- Possess current furnishing number issued by the Board of Registered Nursing in the State of California
- Current AHA BLS
- Current AHA ACLS
- Current AHA NRP
- Must be able to sit and stand/walk for 12 hours per day.
- Must be able to bend, push/pull and lift up to 35 pounds.
DISCLAIMER: The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Competitive Salary Range!
Executive & Management Recruitment Services
(415) 770-1200 – call/text