Job Opening for a Surgery Technologist located Central Coast California.
- Assists in surgery in the following capacities: scrub, assisting in transportation of patients and general maintenance and care of the department and equipment.
- In capacity as Sterile Processing Technician will clean, process and store processed supplies and equipment; order supplies as needed.
- Transports patients to surgical unit when requested.
- Checks patient’s name, date of birth, and ID band before transporting.
- Transport patients to the surgical unit safely as requested.
- Uses proper body mechanics when transporting patients to protect patient and self.
- Maintains a sufficient amount of supplies on the surgery unit.
- Checks unit supplies to maintain sufficient supplies on the surgery unit.
- Rotates supplies following department’s established procedure.
- Rotates and checks sterility expiration dates and condition of non-disposal instruments and instrument trays.
- Following departmental schedule, checks inventory and replenishes items as needed.
- Processes supplies by cleaning packaging, sterilizing and storing in accordance with. established departmental procedures
- Cleans, sterilizes and assembles equipment, supplies and instruments.
- Inspects equipment to ensure integrity and safety. Follows through on repairs as needed.
- Keeps accurate records regarding autoclave, sterility date, pressures, and temperatures.
- Other required records are accurate and completed in a timely manner
- Understands safe use of equipment used in Sterile Processing.
- Demonstrates safe use of all equipment used in department; autoclave, cold sterilization, etc.
- Understands all aspects of aseptic technique.
- Demonstrates ability to prepare, assemble and package equipment and supplies using aseptic technique.
- Rotates sterile supplies; removes and treats outdated supplies.
- Stores sterile equipment on assigned shelves as per department policy.
- Understands Infection Control guideline for sterile processing.
- Follows established policies and procedures of Infection Control Committee when handling infectious waste.
- Surveillance reports generated by Infection Control Committee reflect acceptable sterility levels for all equipment/supplies.
- Follows recommended infection control policies and procedures during working hours.
- Records changes in tray content or inventory supplies.
- Notifies appropriate staff of changes in tray content or inventory supplies.
- Updates tray description files; changes file location sheets and control sheets as needed.
- Attends staff meetings and in-service programs.
- Attends all mandatory in-service programs.
- Obtains information from meetings unable to attend
- Assists surgeon as scrub according to prescribed standards.
- Scrubs, gown and gloves in accordance with performance standards.
- Sets up table, instruments and supplies according to type of operation.
- Assists in preparation and draping of patient and operative areas as needed.
- Assists and anticipates needs of surgeon in instruments, sutures, sponges and supplies according to technique, procedure and special requirements.
- Observes patient and is ready for emergencies.
- Maintains correct count of sponges, needles and instruments with circulating nurse and reports correctness and discrepancies as set up in standard policy and procedure.
- Maintains aseptic technique at all times as directed by accepted standards.
- Assists in application of dressing, casts and in moving of patient as needed.
- Decontaminates all equipment, instruments and supplies and cleans room as directed by procedure.
- Assists in housekeeping duties and cleanliness of the department as directed to insure safe patient environment.
- When necessary, cleans rooms, furniture, equipment and suites.
- Maintains traffic control through use of prescribed areas and corridors.
- Assists in maintenance of instruments and supplies by proper cleaning, care, utilization and sterilizations as directed.
- Assists in bacteriological counts as directed to assure safety.
- Maintains awareness of safety hazards and use of equipment to prevent damage or harm to personnel and patients.
- Participates in emergency situations as required.
- On-call for emergencies according to posted call schedule.
- Responds immediately when called upon for emergency services.
- Maintains calm demeanor in emergency situation.
- Gathers, disseminates and communicates pertinent information.
- Completes clinical assignment in a timely fashion including maintenance of equipment and supplies necessary for provision of patient care through next shift.
- Completes non-clinical assignments, tasks and projects within a pre-established agreed upon time frame.
- Prioritizes workload relative to patient care needs.
- Attends staff meetings.
- Obtains information presented in staff meetings when unable to attend.
- Participates in nursing unit goal setting.
- Attends mandatory in-service programs.
- Participates in committee work as requested.
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) – required
- Graduate of an approved surgical technologist or military equivalent program – required
- Minimum of one (1) year experience within the last three (3) years’ operating room scrubbing or equivalent military experience, including a variety of surgical procedures.
- Experience requirements may be waived or modified when an appropriate program or course is available and successfully completed.
- Current AHA BLS – required
- Certification in Surgical Technology – preferred
- Must be able to stand/walk for 8 or more hours per day.
- Must be able to bend, reach overhead, crouch and kneel.
- Must be able to push/pull and lift up to 35 pounds.
- Must be able to use hands repetitively for 7 or more hours per day.
- Ability to work with others and to perform a variety of assigned duties.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Competitive Salary Range!
Executive & Management Recruitment Services
(415) 770-1200 – call/text