Job opening in a 100+ bed hospital centrally located about an hour from Raleigh and Fayetteville, NC, for an experienced HIM Director to join their team. The Director will be overseeing 10-13 FTEs. They are looking for progressive experience in HIM field including leadership.
Responsible for being the primary departmental expert on maintenance, support functions, and implementation of systems and devices used in the Health Information Management Department. Works in collaboration with the MIS Department with the implementation, maintenance and support of systems and devices used in the Health Information Management Department. Utilizes the philosophy of the Medical Center as a framework from which all goals and objectives are derived. Coordinates and maintains the hospital’s Charge Master by reviewing new and/or updated charges for CPT codes.
- Develops, coordinates, facilitates, and analyzes functions related to coding and reimbursement activities to ensure accuracy, completeness and compliance with regulatory guidelines and regulations.
- Maintains quality and ethical coding standards through DRG validation. Directs, coordinates, implements, trains, and evaluates the Health Information Management Analysts, Health Information Management Charge Analysts, Health Information Management Coders, and the Health Information Management Coding Supervisor.
- Directs, coordinates, and monitors the quality of documentation, signatures, and scanned documentation. Monitors performance and quality.
- Plans, organizes, manages and facilitates various budges including: Capital Budget, Operating Budget, Personnel Budget and Position control.
- Chairs the Medical Record Review Committee and performs as an active member of the Information Management team, Medical Staff By-Laws Committee, Meditech Core Group as a systems super-user, Performance Improvement, and Corporate Compliance by developing and maintaining a Corporate Compliance Plan, monitoring and reporting compliance with the plan.
- Serves as the Privacy Officer for the hospital.
- Directly or indirectly directs, coordinates, or facilitates purchase and maintenance of equipment along with providing training and educational opportunities to the HIM Staff.
- Works collaboratively with Clinical Documentation Improvement staff to ensure accurate coding of records.
- Maintain knowledge in areas of compliance, government rules and regulations, CMS, HIPAA, RAC, TJC, OIG, LCD, and NCD’s.
- Responsible To:
- Chief Financial Officer
- Workers Supervised:
- HIM Charge Analysts, HIM Analysts, HIM Coders, and HIM Coding Supervisor
- Interrelationship/Contacts include but are not limited to:
- Employees, Department Managers, Senior Management, Patients, Physicians, Office Staff, Visitors, Attorneys, Police Officers, Detectives, Clerks of Court, Surveyors, and local, state, federal agencies and their representatives.
- B.S. in Health Information Management from a four-year college or university or higher education (e.g. Master’s Degree). Completion of the credentials examination given by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) and receipt of a passing score. Maintained at least one of the following credentials: Registered Health information Administrator (RHIA), Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), and may also have the additional certificate for ICD-10-CM/PCS Train the Trainer via continuing education.
Experience and Training:
- Progressive experience in the Health Information Management field. Previous Assistant Director or Director experience required. Previous coding experience required. Experience with clinical documentation improvement required.
Special Qualifications and Job Knowledge:
- Verbal ability to comprehend and utilize words effectively when preparing reports, letters, and other documents.
- Ability to communicate with department staff, upper management, medical, and clinical personnel.
- Ability to multi-task. Good project management skills.
- Ability to interpret data and develop charts and graphs.
- Must have excellent computer skills including Microsoft Windows products, implementation and maintenance of an electronic health record, data base design and maintenance, interfaces, and other related technology.
- Must be knowledgeable in reimbursement systems (Medicare, Medicaid, and Third-Party Payers).
- Must have the ability to read and comprehend medical documentation within the body of the medical record.
- Must be able to read poor handwriting and other difficult to read documents.
- Must be able to operate office equipment (fax machine, copy machine, and etc.).
- Must have an outgoing, friendly and customer service oriented personality.
- Must have acceptable mental and physical health.
- Must have thorough knowledge of departmental and interdepartmental policies.
- Must have ability to maintain an active established routine.
- Knowledge of HIPAA rules and any/all updates to the HIPAA rules and regulations.
- Working knowledge of the clinical documentation improvement process.
The city is within an hour of the Raleigh, Fayetteville, Goldsboro, Wilmington, and the beautiful North Carolina coast. If you are looking for a low cost of living area, out in the countryside, yet close to major cities, this is the place for you. Here, you will find a friendly and welcoming community where neighbors come together to support one another. Historic homes and picturesque yards are sure to charm you when you visit our community. You can take a stroll along our tree-lined streets as you shop and dine in our beautiful downtown. In just a short drive from the city, you can reach the beautiful North Carolina beaches or award winning Eastern North Carolina wineries.
The Downtown area boasts a growing number and variety of shops, restaurants, and businesses which will eagerly serve you, no matter your interest. The city is also home to a robust and supportive business community, and the City offers business owners ample resources to build and maintain their business. Unlike life in a large city, you can’t remain alone for long here, and neither would you want to. Whether merely settling in for a night’s visit or settling down to make a home, you’ll feel the powerful bonds of community that have led this city to being named an “All-America City.” Take in a performance, view an art exhibit, learn about our heritage, or attend a street festival. Downtown hosts events that have grown in attendance and quality each year.
Competitive Salary Range!
Executive & Management Recruitment Services
(415) 770-1200 – call/text-the quickest way to reach me.