Job Opening for a Registered Nurse – Staff Nurse II – Emergency Room – located on the Central Coast of California.
Functions independently in performing the nursing process through assessment, planning, intervention and evaluation of safe therapeutic care for patient’s overt and covert needs and/or complications of treatment in the emergency room. He/she will individualize patient care based upon the ape appropriate and developmental needs. Should be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served in the Emergency Room.
Collects and documents data about patients commonly seen in the Emergency Department through the following methods.
- Interviews the patient or other significant source and completes appropriate history information on patient’s Emergency Department record.
- Documents needs that indicate risk on Emergency Dept. Record.
- Documents physical assessment findings consistent with Emergency Department protocol
- Incorporates nursing diagnostic data into written assessment.
- Documents information from family, other nurses and physicians in the written assessment.
Implements safe therapeutic care for patients.
- Sets priorities for patient care.
- Safely performs and documents the nursing procedures required by the patient assessment consistent with research-based principles and hospital policy.
- Demonstrates proficiency in performing all Emergency Dept. skills as required by job description.
- Demonstrates knowledge of Emergency Dept. procedures and/or protocols.
- Documents all required information on appropriate forms.
- Demonstrates ability to maintain emergency equipment in all operation mode, regularly tests monitoring equipment as required each shift.
- Demonstrates safe and efficient use of specialized equipment used in the “Emergency Dept. and their location.
- Demonstrates familiarity with “crash cart” functions and supplies; reorders supplies as needed or as assigned.
- Actively participates in code procedures.
- Demonstrates safe, accurate administration of medications used in the Emergency Dept.
- Prioritizes own workload relative to patient care needs.
- Completes clinical assignments in a timely fashion including maintenance of equipment and supplies necessary for provision of patient care through next shift.
- Medication stock
- Medical/Surgical supplies
- Maintains safe, therapeutic, physical environment.
- Completes non-clinical assignments, tasks, and projects within a pre-established agreed upon time frame.
- Coordinates patient care activities with other nursing staff and physicians.
- Seeks out resources when needed.
- Explains tests, procedures, and disease process to patient/family level of understanding and documents on Emergency Dept. records.
- Communicates and interacts with patient/family in a way that is perceived as positive and supportive.
- Utilizes other health care professionals in dealing with psychosocial problems.
Provides an environment for growth that facilitates the teaching/learning process.
- Uses both formal and informal teaching activities to provide information to healthcare team members.
- Communicates identified learning needs of others to resources able to meet learner’s needs. Assists in the development and implementation of educational programs and learning aids for the ER, such as:
- Krames Software
- Patient care guidelines
- Nursing or hospital committees
- Computer Assisted Instruction (CAI)
- Assists in orientation of new staff by sharing knowledge, experiences and verbal encouragement and acting as “buddy” or preceptor.
Policies and procedures.
- Directs others to follow hospital policies and procedures and Emergency Dept. protocols.
- Maintains competencies in intravenous therapy through practice and continuing education.
- Follows Infection Control policies/procedures, i.e., prescribed hand-washing and universal precautions.
- Applies principles of prevention and safety for patients and staff.
- Complies with annual skills update as required
Delegation and supervision.
- Supervises delegated care based on abilities and limitation of heath care personnel and patient acuity.
- Makes adjustments in delegated assignments as needed.
- Assesses changing patient flow that affects Emergency Dept., staffing needs and acts appropriately.
- Utilizes the steps of problem solving to resolve identified patient related problems.
- Reports Emergency Dept. related problems using the chain of command communication structure.
- If available, responds cooperatively to requests of assistance to other nursing units.
- Assists other staff when own assignment is complete.
Utilizes appropriate professional communication skills.
- Listens to the ideas, opinions and feeling of others
- Uses communication (interpersonal) strategies with individual patients and staff that result in:
- Achievement of intended outcomes
- Achievement of ED objectives
Gathers, disseminates and communicates pertinent information.
- Attends and participates in 80% of staff meetings per year
- Obtains information presented in staff meetings.
- Participates in Emergency Dept. goal setting.
- Attends mandatory in-service programs.
- Participates in committee work as requested.
- Maintains cost containment efforts by:
- Prudent use of supplies and equipment
- Charging supplies and equipment appropriately
- Reviews communication/information book every shift
Maintains professional responsibilities to enhance personal growth
- Understands and functions within the scope of the California nurse Practice Act.
- Keeps all licenses and certificates current.
- Plans for personal change and growth based on evaluation and feedback.
- Participates in setting measurable goals for performance
- With help, acquires knowledge or experience to meet goals.
- Upon request, provides input for co-workers performance appraisal using established criteria.
- EKG test passed with minimum score of 80%
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Performs other duties within capabilities as assigned by Manager.
- Associates’s degree in Nursing preferred.
- Minimum of 1 year acute care experience within the past two years
- Six months recent experience in Emergency Room desirable.
- Current California RN License
- Current BLS for healthcare providers, PALS, & ACLS
- CEN and NRP Preferred
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
Competitive Salary Range!
Executive & Management Recruitment Services
(415) 770-1200 – call/text